An impressive piece of Antique Castle Hedingham Pottery produced by Edward Bingham. The pottery was first made in 1837, when Edward Bingham moved from Lambeth to Castle Hedingham. There has been some historical confusion with regard to the Potter of such ware, as his son and grandson were also called Edward Bingham and all three became involved in the business. It was the middle Edward Bingham who introduced a style reminiscent of Medieval and Tudor pottery, of which this is a fine example, which is the most recognisable product of the Castle Hedingham pottery today. The company was sold in 1901 and production ceased soon after. The Bingham family moved to the USA, where the middle Edward Bingham was forced to retire, complaining of the lack of good clay in the USA.
This piece is in extremely good order and bears the typical Bingham /Castle Hedingham 'lozenge' mark and the impressed mark 'Edward Bingham'. It dates from the early 1880's.